Me, Brian and Tim finished recording our 6 song album last week. I couldn’t resist adding a little Therevox ET-4 onto the last track. This is going through my Yamaha E-1005 Analog Delay (for sale if anyone’s interested) with the ET-4 panned to one side and all the delays panned to the opposite side.
Nice luck = finding a pair of studio monitors for $10 across the street at a garage sale several days before starting to mix an album!
This is a counter top I made out of some maple. It is finished naturally, but I probably should have stained it a bit “colder” to remove the pink-ishness that maple seems to have under cfl.
From the winter, very dusty! I gotta say that a full face mask for wood working is pretty awesome. It makes you feel like an astronaut and you can never forget your safety glasses – Norm would be proud.
Some pictures of my first prototype window fan. Trying to not use the AC again this summer, but my crappy garage sale window fan ain’t cutting it. I’m using a 12″ diameter 12V 80W automotive radiator fan and a high efficiency 100W switch-mode power supply. The fan is rated to be 1600 CFM, I can’t measure to verify but it definitely moves a lot of air.
I was hoping to make something that moved a lot of air but didn’t use a lot of electricity. These radiator fans were the most efficient I could find, and the total draw is 88W which is less than my off-the-shelf fan and a lot windier (breezier?).
One toggle switch for power, another for fan direction. The off-the-shelf fan I was using previously had to be removed from the window and put in backwards to change direction, so this is a very satisfying $3 direction switch.
I also added a metal frame to hold a 2″ air filter and foam pre-filter. The hope was to filter the air before it gets sucked into the room through a MERV 13 filter since we live on a very busy street. The metal frame was laser cut and bent on a small brake.
Unfortunately the filters really affect how much air the fan moves, almost stopping it entirely. That’s prototyping though, otherwise the fan is working great. The air isn’t being filtered before it comes in though, but I scored a second-hand austin air healthmate for cheaper than I could build something similar.
The fan motor surface temperature got up to 60C after being on for about 30 minutes, not sure if that’s a problem yet though. Woo, prototyping!
This will be fun! I’ve been asked by HackForge, Windsor’s local hackerspace to give a talk about therevox. It will be on June 26th at 6PM at the central branch of the Windsor Public Library. More info on the Meetup page.
I haven’t planned what I’m going to talk about yet, but I’ll be showing some early prototype stuff and hopefully have an ET-4.3 for people to try out.